Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Self Love Is Not So Vile a Sin

[[H U H ?]] * You won’t find me dissing Tom Cruise for his fundamental belief in the possibility of reincarnation; I, myself, am looking forward to someday coming back as the genius who figures out how to get the very last smidgen of toothpaste out of the tube. But Cruise’s assertion that he was once William Shakespeare ... well, that’s a bit hard to swallow.

The 43-year-old Scientologist and War of the Worlds star is quoted as claiming that he is “old beyond reckoning” and this current existence is “probably one of the least satisfying” he’s ever led. (I’m sure that his latest inamorata, Katie Holmes, will be pleased to hear that.) In previous lives, Cruise contends, “I wrote plays, composed music, conquered nations, discovered continents, and developed cures for diseases.” It seems he stumbled upon his long-ago role as England’s most renowned playwright while reading the complete works of Shakespeare, shortly after dropping out of high school. “Shakespeare was déjà vu for me,” says Cruise. “It was so cool. I felt as if I had seen his words already, knew them all by heart. Then, after I began studying Scientology, I realized the words had come from my heart in a previous life. That’s why I say that as glorious and enviable as my present life is, making War of the Worlds and all those other great movies can’t compare to writing Romeo and Juliet or the sonnets.” Gee, ya think?

Of course Cruise, whose most recent manifestation is that of confrontational TV celebrity-show guest and the willing subject of innumerable tabloid stories about his passion for the much-younger Holmes (Wasn’t it the Bard from Stratford, after all, who wrote, “They do not love that do not show their love”?), doesn’t restrict himself to having filled the shoes of just a single famous figure from the past. Oh, no. He also insists that he was once Johann Sebastian Bach, Christopher Columbus, and Napoleon Bonaparte. (What, no women?) Maybe in his next life he can at least return as less of a loose cannon.

FOLLOW-UP: Cruise’s “people” now claim their man has been the victim of a mischevious Internet spoof, that the interview in which Mr. Top Gun contended he’d been Shakespeare in a previous (and better) life was a hoax. Hmm. His “people” would do better to spend more of their time controlling their employer. The Tom-as-Will report sounded, in the context of what else this guy has done of late, totally credible.

READ MORE:For Magazines, the Summer of Scientology Was Not Endless,” by Dylan Stableford (Folio).

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poll respondents overwhelm site
An online opinion poll by The Reporter over the weekend regarding Cindy Sheehan's high-profile anti-war protest went awry after at least two battling Web logs implored their readers to vote multiple times to ...
I was surfing through a few blogs and came across yours and wanted to say
very nice job on the content, so I have bookmarked your site for future
reference.

Just in case you are interested I have a greek coin
site. It pretty much covers greek coin related stuff.

Stop by sometime :=)

Anonymous said...

good post... thanks.

Jon
My site: iq tests for children

Anonymous said...

Nice looking blog - did you customize the template? Thanks from Womens
Shoes
girl

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say hi and ask that you return the visit if you have the chance. Thank You!

The AdSense Guy

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog site!! Lots of info, bookmarked it.

I have a Ceiling Fans for Coolness site/blog. It pretty much covers Ceiling Fans for Coolness related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

Anonymous said...

Black Rock Discovers Blogging
You have to hand it to those little troopers at CBS News. After a year filled with what we'll delicately call, uh, crap, they're doing their best to make a precious little bounce back towards respectibility.
Hi, found your blog and I think it is quite interesting. I also site kind of similar to yours. You can visit my alkaline diets related site if you like. I wrote just over 100 free articles related to alkaline diets, raw food diets, antioxidants, detox and body cleansing.

Anonymous said...

Google Searches For New Profits
Google doesn't want to be just a search company. It wants to be Information Central.
You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to
enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand."

Woodrow Wilson
28th President of the United States
brazilian waxing site/blog. It pretty much covers brazilian waxing related stuff.

Anonymous said...

TV5 Blogs
Check out Sam's Blog updated every Wednesday afternoon. Check out Katie's Blog updated every Monday afternoon Check out Darrin's Blog updated every Tuesday afternoon.
Dish Network Alabama - Free Dishnetwork Equipment for Up to 4 Rooms, FREE Dishnetwork HDTV and Dishnetwork DVR. With the Dishnetwork Digital Home Advantage you can connect up to 4 televisions to Dishnetwork with no Dishnetwork equipment to purchase. With a $49.99 Dishnetwork Activation Fee, the Dishnetwork Digital Home Advantage offers Dishnetwork satellite service for multiple televisions, no Dishnetwork equipment to buy and a $49.99 Dishnetwork credit on your first Dishnetwork bill. Plus, you can upgrade your Dishnetwork Digital Home Advantage with a Dishnetwork Dish Player-DVR 510. Check out my site, it's all about Dish Network Alabama

Jimmy said...

hey nice blog. i actually just started mine yesterday. feel free to check it out sometime. thanks

www.classiccollegechronicles.
blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Microsoft, Google and Skype... Oh My
Stowe Boyd, President/COO of Corante, is a well-known media subversive, and an internationally recognized authority on real-time, collaborative and social technologies.
Hi, enjoyed your blog --- some good stuff. I'll definitely visit from time to time.

I have a site on water filtration. It provides a lot of information on water filtration and related stuff.

Come, check us out when you have time.

Anonymous said...

You have a knack for
writing. I read about 20
blogs a day, and skim about
30 more, so I mean it! We
can all use improvement, but
you certainly are better than
most I've read.

I'm going to be starting a blog
soon, about keyword
(I know, it sounds strange!) but
if you don't mind, I might drop
you a line just to get a little advice.
Ok?

Thanks kindly.

One Crazy Blog Addict...!
Dave

Anonymous said...

Hello nice blog site! Added it to my bookmarks for future reference.

I have a poker
site/blog. It pretty much covers poker related stuff.

Come check mine out if you get time.

Anonymous said...

10 Years That Changed The World
A decade ago, Netscape went public, blasting the Web into everyday life. Now, Wired talks to the inside players - from Marc Andreessen to Shawn Fanning to Steve Jobs - about 10 years of boom, bust, and sock ...
Directv North Dakota offers an incredible selection of entertainment for every member of the family -- all in the 100% digital-quality picture and sound that Directv North Dakota is known for. Check out my site on Directv North Dakota

Rabbit said...

You know, I'd be much more accepting of people who claim to be reincarnated if they didn't all believe they were Cleopatra or Napoleon. No one says, "Oh yeah, in my last life I was a gas station attendant that flunked out of community college."