Monday, July 16, 2007

What, No Cake?

Unbelievably, it was two years ago today that I launched Limbo. It wasn’t supposed to become a regularly updated blog. At the time, my friend Charlie Smyth wanted to experiment with blogging, and asked if I could help him figure out the Blogger software. The easiest way I saw to do that was to create one of these newfangled “Web logs” myself. Thus was born Limbo. Charlie has since developed and worked sporadically on his own fine site, Spiraglio, while I have grown Limbo into something that reflects my views on politics, writing, and the world at large--a blog that demands more attention and time that I’d ever expected.

I haven’t always had the time I would like to write for Limbo. My attention has been drawn away frequently to another blog, The Rap Sheet, a crime-fiction site that I created after Limbo. But lately I have found myself coming back here more regularly. I think I needed a bit of time away from politics, after last November’s hard-fought and worthwhile midterm elections, in which George W. Bush and his Republican’t Party suffered demoralizing losses at every level of the U.S. government. And only now have my batteries been recharged. The surest sign of this was my recent redesign of Limbo. It was a long time in coming, but is quite satisfying. There are still some tweaks I’d expecting to make, but only after I figure out how to make them.

So, here’s a toast to the start of a third year at Limbo. I hope that those of you who have stuck with me all this time still find value here, and maybe a delight or two to boot.

It’s daunting to keep this page lively. However, it also gives me an outlet to write about subjects I can’t otherwise tackle with such ease. And in that there’s satisfaction.

No comments: