Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Stupid Quote of the Week

George W. Bush is always braying on about how Americans have to make sacrifices, even though he asked absolutely nothing of the nation’s wealthiest citizens when he committed the United States to an invasion of Iraq. In fact, he gave them a handsome tax break, while pushing off the real costs of his warmongering onto the shoulders of our grandchildren. But now Dubya insists that he, too, has sacrificed for the “war effort.” How? He tells Politico reporter Mike Allen that he’s given up golf. Says the prez:
“I don’t want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the commander in chief playing golf,” he said. “I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.”

Bush said he made that decision after the August 2003 bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, which killed Sergio Vieira de Mello, the top U.N. official in Iraq and the organization’s high commissioner for human rights.

“I remember when de Mello, who was at the U.N., got killed in Baghdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man’s life,” he said. “I was playing golf--I think I was in central Texas--and they pulled me off the golf course and I said, ‘It’s just not worth it anymore to do.’”
Oh, boo-fuckin’-hoo. When we see you send your two daughters off to fight in the Middle East conflict you provoked with your lies, Mr. Bush--a conflict to which other American parents have willingly sacrificed their own children--then and only then will you be making an honest commitment to your war of choice.

READ MORE:Bush Makes the Ultimate War Sacrifice,” by David Terranoire (A Dark Planet); “We Call Bullshit,” by Warren Street (Blue Girl, Red State).

No comments: