Wednesday, May 20, 2009

This Is News to Me

I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m continually surprised by the intellectual dishonesty of some American conservatives. I was leafing through a publisher’s catalogue of forthcoming books today, when I came across a page devoted to something called 48 Liberal Lies About American History (That You Probably Learned in School), by Larry Schweikart. In the write-up about this book, we’re told that
Students learn, for example, that the Founding Fathers were elitists who drafted the Constitution in order to protect their economic interests. … That Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation only because he needed black soldiers. … That racist groups such as the KKK represented our society in the early twentieth century. … That the failures of capitalism caused the Great Depression. All false, as readers will discover.
Well, I don’t know about you, but I never heard any of these statements made during my many years of education. Not a single one. Schweikart, who claims to be a professor of history at the University of Dayton, has simply concocted these straw-man teachings in order that he can debunk them and then blame liberals for spreading such misinformation.

It doesn’t take my buying this book to know who’s lying to me.

No comments: