Thursday, May 17, 2012

Fill ’Er Up

Feel free to pour yourself that extra cup of coffee, OK? According to a study by the National Cancer Institute, the findings of which appear in the newest edition of the New England Journal of Medicine, “men who drank at least six cups of coffee a day had a 10 percent lower chance of dying during the 14-year study period than those who drank none. For women, the risk was 15 percent lower ...”

I’ve been a coffee drinker ever since I was in my mid-20s, but with a regular habit of digesting only one or two cups a day, I am apparently not taking the task seriously enough. “Overall, in the U.S. about 64 percent of adults drink coffee daily, according to Joe DeRupo, spokesman for the National Coffee Association. At [an average of] 3.2 cups apiece, that amounts to some 479 million cups a day ...” I guess I’ll now have to start paying more visits to my lovely local baristas, just to stay healthy.

No comments: